Canada’s vast unbroken wilderness is one of its finest and its most touted features. Offering stunning views, activities and rich ecological diversity, places such as Banff National Park are popular for travelers from around the world. Tradewinds Travel Club reviews the destinations that you may enjoy. Take a closer look at one such destination as we review Banff national Park, a great vacation destination worth exploring.
Banff History And Activities
Canada’s first National Park, Banff is located just one and one half hours west of Calgary, making it an ideal destination for both a day trip or a weekend getaway. Made up of over 2500 square miles of area, Banff is nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rockies and offers a huge variety of activities for travelers of all ages and interests.
Millions of visitors choose Banff as the ideal destination each year choosing to spend time on the waters of the famous Lake Louise, hiking, biking or horseback riding through the lovely meadows and jagged peaks of the mountains or any other number of fantastic adventures and activities. Below is a list of the parks most popular recreational activities.
- Backpacking – Ranging from easy to difficult, talk to a guide to get the best information on which trail will be right for you.
- Biking – On and offroad, biking gets you into areas otherwise unreachable by car.
- Birdwatching – Over 250 species spend at least part of the year in Banff.
- Canoeing – A great way to enjoy Lake Louise and surrounding waters.
- Caving – See a different side of the Canadian Rockies.
- Fishing – Note: A permit is required – This is a fun way to recreate, but make sure you follow all rules and regulations regarding species in the area as it is known for spawning.
- Guided Tours – Guides can be found both inside and outside the park.
- Hiking – There are thousands of miles of hiking trails throughout the park
- Mountain Climbing – Not for the faint of heart, Banff climbing is some of the most splendid in the region offering a wide variety of climbs.
- Rafting – White Water
- Camping – Follow all safe camping guidelines as there is wildlife present in the area.
- Scuba Diving – Popular in Lake Minnewanka
- Skiing – There are three resorts located withing Banff and thousands of acres to ski in.
- Ziplining – See the trees and the mountains in a new light on a zipline tour.
- Hotsprings – Hot mineral springs are found in Banffs upper areas, perfect for relaxing.
Banff is a popular recreational choice throughout the year offering a vast number of opportunities to enjoy Canada’s beauty. Make sure you know what is required of you before you go and that you pack for all types of weather as it can change quickly in higher elevations. Be smart and more informed with destination reviews from Tradewinds Travel Club.